Friday, July 25, 2014

I Can...What's your Superpower?

I saw this on Facebook today and it made me smile!
I learned to can by watching my Mom make jam, can peaches, green beans, and pears.  When I got married  back in the 80's, I canned my first batches of jam and peaches.  As my family grew, I canned more peaches, pears~I really don't like pears, but one kid did~and branched out to pickles and salsa. One summer I went to a Canning 101 class put on by our local Extension Service. I learned lots of things.
A lot of things I had been doing....WRONG!  Oh dear!
After completing the class, I was able to take a course to become a Master Food Preserver through Washington State University.  What a feeling to complete the 8 week course and pass my test. Whew!  I was now able to give back to my community by teaching others HOW to can and preserve food safely and correctly!
The following part of my post is from the Pomona Universal Pectin website.  It tells what a Master Food Preserver does. I loved it.
Master Food Preservers Have a Mission – Teaching About Canning Safety
With the current explosion of interest in home food preservation – be it pickling, jamming, fermenting, or freezing – where are home preservers supposed to go for answers to their questions? Who out there has the most up-to-date understanding of food safety issues and approved practices?

Yes, you guessed it – your local Master Food Preserver (or MFP), trained by your local County Extension Office, and now a willing volunteer to answer your questions over the phone; teach classes; staff tables at Farmers’ Markets, County Fairs, and other such venues; and even make presentations to church groups and other organizations.

Never heard of a Master Food Preserver? Well, either had I until I started working with my sister Connie to bring you Pomona’s Pectin. So I decided to interview a few MFPs to find out who they are, how they got to be MFPs, what they do, and how you, if you’re interested, can follow in their footsteps.

I heard from MFPs in Washington, California, Idaho, Indiana, and Maine. Below is a summary of what I learned. For more detail about a particular state, click on that state. For information about states not included, search the internet, give a call to your County Extension Office, or go to their website.

What is an MFP and how do you become one? MFPs complete extensive training: usually spending around 40 hours in the classroom, studying assigned reading materials, and participating in hands-on training. The focus is food safety and food preserving methods. To be certified, an MFP must pass a written exam and commit to a number of volunteer hours in the community.

An MFP’s mission is then to help educate the public in a variety of ways, under the supervision of their Country Extension Office. To become an MFP, you need to learn about your local County Extension program, sign up, and likely pay a small fee for materials.

What are the qualities of a good MFP? Good MFPs: (1) have more than a passing interest in food safety and food preservation; (2) have the desire and time to volunteer for community service; (3) are curious, analytical, and personable; (4) like to teach and can communicate well; (5) have a passion for food preservation, people and fun!

Becoming an MFP means joining a community of like-minded individuals, both men and women. If you’re interested, there’s no time like the present!


If you have any interest in becoming a Master Food Preserver, contact your local Extension Service for details. It is so rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment