Monday, March 8, 2010

Sucanat!


Still trying to be "unrefined" sugar free. It is a challenge to say the least. Weekends are difficult because I am "off" schedule. I have been eating more protein, which is good. I have also been researching unrefined sugars...like Sucanat. Sucanat is dehydrated sugar cane juice. It is sugar cane crushed daily, juice heated to a thick syrup. The syrup is stirred by hand to create the granules. It is a nice brown color and the granules remind me of yeast. The sugar cane's molasses is locked in....very yummy taste. It can be used cup-for-cup the same as refined sugar.


I made Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sucanat and they were good. Just darker in color than those made with white sugar. I also used Spectrum Non-hydrogenated shortening instead of Crisco....a healthier alternative to the chemically processed fat!


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 c. Spectrum or shortening

1 1/2 c. Sucanat

2 eggs

2 t. vanilla extract

1 T. water

Cream together. It doesn't cream like refined sugar. Not as fluffy! That is normal.


Combine together and add to creamed mixture:

2 1/4 c. soft white wheat flour-I grind my own....pastry flour...good for cookies etc. that don't need the structure that gluten gives.

1 t. salt

1 t. baking soda

Mix well. Add:

1 pkg. chocolate chips


Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


They will be really dark brown and a very soft cookie. Yum!




1 comment:

  1. these sound yummy - where do you get the sugar and shortening?

    ReplyDelete