Monday, August 23, 2010

Inspiration Plantation-A fresh chicken field trip!

The other day I was reading a couple of blogs that I keep track of and noticed a link to a place near my house called Inspiration Plantation.  The reason it caught my eye was because they raise and process their own chickens for meat......AND they were processing chickens that VERY day! Being the ever adventurous girl that I am...I set out for the farm..with the husband at the wheel. Happy chickens were outside in a field...being chickens! Happy Chickens!
 I have wanted to see the difference in the taste of a freshly processed chicken and how it compares to store bought.  Inspiration Plantation raises 2 kinds of meat chickens...Cornish Cross-which are like the chickens you buy in the store....bred to have more white meat~~~And Heritage chickens-which are like the old-time chickens our grandparents used to raise.  They take longer to finish and have a smaller breast.
 We met the owners, Jen and Matt Schwab. They were so nice and explained the whole process to me!  I should have taken my camera to show you the set-up.  I decided to buy 2 of the Heritage chickens...$5.50 a pound and worth every penny!
They also have pork, turkey and eggs to sell. They are sold-out of pork and turkeys for 2010.


For Sunday dinner I made fried chicken.  What a great way to see the difference! And what a difference it was. When I opened the bags of raw chicken....there was NO YUCKY CHICKEN SMELL!  In fact, there was NO SMELL! WooHoo! I cut it up and fried it like my Grandma Kelin would have done it......It was delicious!!!!  The meat had texture...and that is a good thing! The flavor was fantastic!  I loved it and will buy more!


Check out their site and try some "REAL" chicken! http://www.inspirationplantation.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment