Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Zucchini and Pepper Relish

I like Zucchini....small! When I received some logs of zucchini recently I wasn't really sure what to do with it. There is only so much zucchini bread I can take! Blech! I love relish, though! So I started searching for a recipe and I found a keeper!

Zucchini and Pepper Relish
Makes 5 pints
 
6 cups chopped green bell pepper-about 8 whole peppers
6 cups grated zucchini-about 3 pound
2 1/2 cups grated onion-about 2 large onions
4 cups apple cider vinegar, divided
2 cups sugar
2 T. sea salt *(I used canning salt)
2 T. mustard seeds
1 t. celery seed
1/2 red pepper flakes
 
Prepare a boiling water bath and 5 regular mouth pint jars. Place the lids in a small saucepan, cover them with water, and simmer over very low heat.
 
Combine the chopped bell pepper, zucchini, and onion in a large, non-reactive pot. Stir in 2 cups of the apple cider vinegar and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the vegetables have cooked down, about 30 minutes.
 
Drain the vegetables and return to the pot. Add the remaining apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
 
Ladle the relish into the prepared jas leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Gently tap the jars on a towel-lined countertop to help loosen any bubbles before using a wooden chopstick to dislodge any remaining bubbles. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling waterbath for 10 minutes.
 
Recipe from Food in Jars-by Marisa McClellan


 

No comments:

Post a Comment