Monday, July 12, 2010

Sticky Coconut Chicken


I LOVE Coconut! Sweet, creamy, yummy coconut! So, when I saw a post from MY KITCHEN CAFE I knew I had to try it. You marinate the chicken thighs in coconut milk with ginger and jalapeno. You also make a glaze for the chicken to make it sticky. It was yummy! I adapted the recipe slightly because I didn't have any red pepper flakes. I DID have some jalapenos and I grated them in to replace the pepper flakes. Next time, I will just slice them to get a little more zip! The chicken thighs are great because they don't dry out on the grill. The glaze I could have eaten out of the pan. I will double it the next time I make it so I have extra to pour over the chicken at serving time. I served it with what else....coconut rice and sliced pineapple.


Sticky Coconut Chicken

slightly adapted from http://www.mykitchencafe.com/

1 family pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12-14)

1 can of coconut milk

1 T. freshly grated ginger....don't use the powdered stuff...real stuff only!

1 t. red pepper flakes (i used the jalapeno here....slice in a few rounds)

fresh ground pepper

Put the thighs in a ziploc bag and pour the other ingredients over. Put in the fridge and marinate. I let mine work for about 5 hours. Grill the chicken till almost done and glaze it with the following glaze until it is yummy and sticky! Serve with coconut rice.

While my chicken was working in the fridge I made the glaze.


Glaze
3/4 c. rice vinegar

1/2 c. sugar

3 T. soy sauce

1 t. red pepper flakes (again, I used a jalapeno round)

Mix all together is a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook down until the mixture is syrupy. Glaze the chicken the last few minutes of cooking.


Coconut Rice
I use a rice cooker to cook my rice.

4 c. dry rice

1 can coconut milk

3 c. water

That's it...let the rice cooker do it's work!


Grilled pineapple would be a great addition to this meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment