Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fresh Blueberry Pie

July is National Blueberry Month and in honor of it...I made a fresh blueberry pie. 
Blueberries have never been my favorite....I always have eaten them cooked in muffins or pie. I didn't like the taste or texture. BUT...I have decided that I LOVE THEM FRESH!  I can eat quite a few pounds if I am not careful. Which really isn't a bad thing because they are so good for you. Low in calories and high in antioxidants.  Anyway...back to the pie!
When we were in Idaho my Mom made a "FRESH" blueberry pie....not cooked. It had a graham cracker crust and was delicious.  I came home and tried to replicate it...and it was a delicious soupy-graham crackery mess.  I didn't thicken the glaze enough....so today I made it again and I think I've got it!  I made a good old-fashioned crust with LARD! (Gasp...Lard?) Yes..Lard! Try it out. The crusts are flaky and brown....recipe from an old "Farm Journal" canning and freezing book.
I used Instant Clear-Jel  as the thickener. It is a modified food starch that instantly thickens cold liquids.  You can buy it at the Wilco Farm Store, Decorette Shop or online.

Old-Fashioned Pie Crust

2 c. sifted flour
1 T. salt
2/3 c. cold lard * I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so
5-6 T. cold water  *may use more or less depending on the humidity in the air
Sift flour and measure out 2 cups. Add salt and mix. Cut in the lard till it looks like peas. Add water a little at a time and mix with a fork till combined. Roll into 2 8 inch rounds.  Dock the crust with a fork and bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for about 9-11 minutes. Take out and cool on rack.

Fresh Blueberry Pie Filling
6 C. fresh blueberries  *Stemmed and all leaves taken out
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 c. sugar
2 T. INSTANT Clear-Jel
**IMPORTANT!  Mix the sugar and Clear-jel together. 
Put 2 c. of the blueberries in a saucepan with the fresh lemon juice. Heat the mixture until the berries are heated and then mash them with a potato masher. Add the sugar/Clear-Jel mixture and stir well.  Pour over the rest of the berries and mix till all the berries are coated. Pour the berries into the 2 cooled pie crusts. Chill for at least 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. Lard? LARD :-D yeah, baby - they taste better than an stupid shortening crust!! (and we used to cook with bacon grease, too!! YUM!)

    ReplyDelete