Monday, June 7, 2010

Blender Wheat Waffles


I used to hate making waffles. I had a waffle iron with the little holes. It took forever to heat it up and clean it . So...I made pancakes on the nice electric griddle. The fam likes them waffles! My kids got me a Belgian waffle maker...bigger holes, easier clean-up! Now...since I have been making pancakes/waffles I have always used Bisquick...mmmmm, I love Bisquick, light and fluffy pancakes/waffles. Lots of good preservatives as well!
I have been trying to get whole grains in my family's diet without them knowing....sneaky, huh? This recipe fit the bill perfectly! I was a little worried about putting the wheat in the blender....but it works great! The waffles are light and delicious....and are 100% whole white wheat! I got this recipe from Crystal Godfrey's book, I Can't Believe It's Food Storage.


Whole Wheat Blender Waffles

*There are instructions by each ingredient that will help you use your food storage items. i.e. powdered milk or eggs. Feel free to use those substitutions...they work great!


1 c. milk (3 T. powdered milk + 1 c. water)

1 c. + 1 T. wheat kernels, whole and uncooked

2 eggs (2 T. dry powdered eggs + 1/4 c. water)

1 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1/4 c. oil

2 T. sugar

Put milk and wheat kernels in blender. Blend on highest speed for 4 or 5 minutes or until batter is smooth. Add eggs, oil, baking powder, salt and sugar. Blend on low. Pour straight from the blender jar into a hot, prepared waffle iron. Close and cook. (These waffles take slightly longer to cook than regular waffles.)


Yum! Can be frozen and reheated for later. This recipes makes about 3 Big waffles....when seperated it is 12 little waffles!

1 comment:

  1. Homemade waffles are so good!! I love the idea of using wheat berries. I'm off to my health food store to load up on wheat berries & other goodies :) Thanks for the great recipe and idea!

    ReplyDelete